Monday 14 March 2011

Keeping busy

Work and other commitments mean I can go weeks without going near a poetry event, but every now and then there's this sort of week, when everything comes at once.

Tomorrow night (Tuesday March 15th) I'll be at the Flying Goose in Beeston, Nottingham, for what will be the last poetry night there compered by John Lucas. Featured poets are Ann Atkinson, Poet Laureate of Derbyshire, who will read from her Smith/Doorstop book Drawing Water and other work, and Alan Baker, who'll read from his new Skysill Press book Variations on Painting a Room: Poems 2000-2010. The poetry starts at 7.30pm, and admission is £3 on the door.

On Wednesday, I'm off up to St Andrew's for StAnza 2011. I'm reading with Dawn Wood in the Supper Room at the Town Hall at 11.30 on Thursday - the rest of the time I plan to see as many of the events as possible, and blog and tweet about them as they happen.

I'd have stayed for the whole five days, but I have to be at a wedding reception on Saturday night, so have to dash back on Friday night. The good side of that is that I'll be able to be at States Of Independence at De Montfort University, Leicester, from 10.30am on Saturday. I'll be doing a short reading at 11am, and there's loads of good stuff lined up. I'm particularly looking forward to hearing Ernesto Priego at 1pm.

3 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

Hope the reading goes well.

Heather F Reid said...

Matt
Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your reading at Stanza on Thursday. I bought your new collection and I'm really enjoying it, particularly the bird related poems, they're beautiful.
Heather Reid

Matt Merritt said...

Thanks very much, Heather, glad you enjoyed the reading and that the book is living up to it! I had a great time at StAnza - lovely audience to read to and so many good events. It's the most friendly festival I've ever seen, too.