Tuesday 25 January 2011

Walcott wins the TS Eliot

Nobel laureate Derek Walcott won this year's TS Eliot Prize last night for his collection White Egrets, which was described by the judges as "moving and technically flawless".

I'm in the unfortunate position of having absolutely nothing useful to say on the matter, not having read any of this year's shortlisted books yet, although a couple are sitting there on my growing 'to read' pile. And while there are quite a few collections I might like to have seen on that final shortlist, I can't argue with the final selection. The few poems that I have read from Walcott's book, including one that appeared in one of the papers over the weekend, I've liked a lot.

But anyway, Jane Holland has blogged entertainingly about the Prize Reading here

No comments: