Friday 20 March 2009

Flat Earth News

I've been meaning for a while to link to this post by fellow journo and poet James Wood, at I Am One magazine. It's as good a look at Nick Davies' book, Flat Earth News, as I've seen, and raises quite a few points that I'll follow up on in a couple of weeks.

The newspaper industry, in England at least, is very much in a state of flux at the moment, with titles disappearing almost daily, and some companies using the excuse of the current economic situation to settle a few scores with unionised employees. But the trouble is, as James suggests, journalists are often too prone to looking back at some mythical golden age in which 'the truth' was the only objective. Now I'm not saying things haven't got worse, but things have never been as clear-cut as some, including Davies, might suggest.

No comments: