Friday 20 March 2009

A date for the diary

On Sunday, June 14th, I'll be reading at Norwich Arts Centre as part of an event called The Birds and the Trees, staged by Cafe Writers.

I'm on at 3pm, with Katrina Porteous, who I've enjoyed hearing reading on the radio in the past, and whose sequence of poems about the foot and mouth outbreaks (the title escapes me just now) I particularly liked.

Later in the day, at 6.30pm, acclaimed poet Paul Farley will be reading with Norfolk-based nature writer Mark Cocker, whose magnificent Birds Britannica I've sung the praises of on here many a time. I saw Paul Farley do a John Clare-themed reading a couple of years back, and he was excellent, so I'm looking forward to hearing him again.

So, if you're anywhere around Norwich that day, some along and listen. I'll be reminding you ad nauseum when we get nearer the date, but then you knew that, didn't you?!

2 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

If only I could be there! I grew up near to Mark Cocker's home on the river Yare. Crow Country made a huge impact on me. I would have loved the chance to hear you reading your poetry, too.

The compensation is that we supposedly have the BBC Wildlife Poet of the year coming to the Dylan Thomas Centre to do a reading a a bit later on.

Matt Merritt said...

Thanks, Caroline. That's Chris Kinsey, I think, isn't it? I met her at a reading in Chester last year, and she was excellent. Her book, from Ragged Raven, is well worth getting.