Thursday 16 August 2007

Birdfair 2007

I'll be spending the next three days on the boggy banks of Rutland Water, at this year's Birdfair. They promise that the site has dried out now, but we're having a fair few torrential downpours again this week, so I suspect it could all end up as a mudbath. It's work, in theory, but I'd be going anyway, so it's the kind of work I like.
It's not always easy to actually do any birdwatching while you're there, because of course the hides are full and you can't drag yourself away from all the exhibitions and stands, but it's worth trying. Last year, in the 15 minutes I managed just before having to dash back to my old job, me and a birder from Yorkshire saw a superb range of waders turn up on the small muddy beach we were watching. Greenshank, Redshank, Spotted Redshank, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper and Ruff were all visible, to remind us what it's all about.
If anyone reading this is going, I'll be on the Bird Watching stand all three days - pop over and say hello.

No comments: